Have you noticed more static than normal while walking on the wood floors in your home? Or maybe your skin and hair has become super dry over the winter seasons? These are some of the noticeable signs that the humidity level in your home is too low.
The average homeowner likes their home’s humidity level set between 30-40%. Here are some indicators to look for in your own home that humidity levels might be too high or too low for comfort.
Indicators of Humidity
Too Low (typically, wintertime):
- Static electricity when you walk on hardwood floors or touch objects
- Hair and skin is constantly dry
- Occasional nose bleeds in the morning time
- Wallpaper peeling
- Shrinkage of woodwork and furniture
- Piano goes out of tune
Too High (typically, summertime):
- Moisture/condensation on the windows
- Wet stains on walls and ceilings
- Musty odor
- Rotting and structural damage
- Mold/mildew formation
If you haven’t changed your humidity levels on your whole-home humidifiers recently and are noticing some of the issues from above, it is likely the percentage on your humidifier is too low or too high. This is an appliance we check, provide, and change filters for during our quarterly routine home maintenance! We would be happy to take a look at your humidifier during an air duct cleaning appointment as well.